Welcome to the Spicy Bodyweight Workout Challenge by HYROX.
This was a series of home challenges organized and programmed by HYROX. (Click on the link to find out more about HYROX)
The challenge combined two bodyweight movements and will not only test your physical fitness but also your ability to build a good strategy that works for you.
Let’s get to the challenge.
Before we start, I want to remind you to never skip your warm-up!
It’s just as important as your actual workout.
Just to give you a few important facts on why you should warm up:
- Increases blood flow
- Reduces chance of injury
- Increases range of motion
- Improves performance
I could go on and keep rambling about the importance of warming up but I already did that in a different article. (click below to learn more)
If you feel a little more stiffness in your body after a long day of work, use this warm-up routine:
Spicy Bodyweight Workout Challenge by HYROX
Set a running clock
Minute 1: 10 Squats, then 1 Burpee
Minute 2: 10 Squats, then 2 Burpee
Minute 3: 10 Squats, then 3 Burpee
Minute 4: 10 Squats, then 4 Burpee
Continue the number of Squats and Burpees in this pattern until you can’t complete the given reps within the minute.
(click on the links for movement demonstration)
How to approach it?
The goal of this challenge is to go as far as you can.
At the same time, you need to be smart with your pacing from the very first minute on.
My suggestion to achieve the best possible result:
- Completing Air Squats obviously takes less time than completeing burpees.
- Therefore, you will need to try to complete the 10 Air Squats as fast as possible each round.
- Try to have the same pace in every minute so your body has the time to adjust to it, especially when your body gets less and less rest each minute.
- I would also suggest to do the burpees in a pace that you are comfortable with (probably around 85% of your max pace) from the very beginning.
- Otherwise your body will not know what hit him when you get into the later rounds.
- Try to gain as much rest time as possible per minute, you will need them in the later rounds.
- In the later rounds, just go for it and push as hard as you can to squeeze in the higher number of burpees.
In case you need to adjust the movement because of for example an injury, this is what I would suggest to you:
- Air Squat: an alternative, if you are struggling to go deep in a squat, is the box air squat
- Burpee: an alternative would be the “no-push-up” burpee or doing the “step-up” burpee which allows you to take out some of the dynamic from the movement and puts you more in control
After a long workout like that make sure to have a proper cool-down to avoid injuries & give your body the time to recover:
If you enjoyed this Spicy Bodyweight Workout Challenge by HYROX, you should definitely browse through some of the following and bookmark them for later: