Welcome to the intense 24min EMOM leg workout.
The following workout is a combination of dumbbell and bodyweight leg exercises in an EMOM format to give you the best of both worlds – strength and conditioning.
In case you are curious to find out why I’m such a big fan of bodyweight, dumbbell, and kettlebell exercises, click on the links and learn about the benefits of the different exercises and what type of exercises you can actually do.
Let’s get to the workout.
Before we start, I want to remind you to never skip your warm-up!
It’s just as important as your actual workout.
Just to give you a few important facts on why you should warm up:
- Increases blood flow
- Reduces chance of injury
- Increases range of motion
- Improves performance
I could go on and keep rambling about the importance of warming up but I already did that in a different article. (click below to learn more)
If you feel a little more stiffness in your body after a long day of work, use this warm-up routine:
Intense 24min EMOM Leg Workout
3 Rounds: EMOM
(40 seconds work/ 20 seconds rest)
1) Dumbbell Front Squat
2) Max set of Jump Squat
3) Dumbbell Goblet Squat
4) Max set of Jumping Lunges
5) Dumbbell Split Squat – Right
6) Dumbbell Split Squat – Let
7) Kettlebell Hip Thrust
8) Banded Hamstring Curl
(click on the links for a movement demonstration)
Enjoyed the workout? Pin it!
How to approach it?
The workout is an EMOM style workout with 40 seconds of work and 20 seconds of rest.
You will repeat this for three rounds.
Approach the workout at a reasonable pace, 40 seconds can become quite a long time.
At the same time, try to rest only in the 20-second rest window of each minute otherwise the intended stimulus of the workout gets lost.
I used the first round of this workout as a baseline to see how many reps I was able to do within 40 seconds and tried to maintain it for the other 2 rounds.
That way you won’t need to keep an eye on the clock all the time.
If you are completely new to an EMOM format, get yourself an app or a timer with a sound that makes it much easier to know when to work, when to rest and when to switch the exercises.
If your heart rate goes through the roof and you have trouble breathing, take 1min off and pick it up where you stopped.
In case you are having trouble/pain with some of the exercises, here are some suggestions on how to work around it:
- Dumbbell Front Squat: an alternative would be a squat with the dumbbells on your side
- Jump Squat: if this exercise is too hard on your knees, opt for the bodyweight air squats
- Dumbbell Goblet Squat: an alternative with weight would be the bodyweight sumo squat
- Jumping Lunges; just like on the jump squats, if this exercise is too hard on your knees, opt for bodyweight lunges
- Dumbbell Split Squat: an alternative would be the bodyweight split squat
- Kettlebell Hip Thrust: an alternative would be the bodyweight hip thrust
- Banded Hamstring Curl: you could try different bands that have less resistance in case you are struggling
After you finished the training session, make sure to have a proper cool-down to avoid injuries & give your body the time to recover.
If you enjoyed this Intense 24min EMOM Leg Workout, definitely try some of the following suggestions or bookmark them for later.